Monday, February 11, 2008

From one child to three in one hour!


My husband and I watched my sister's kids this weekend while she and her husband moved into their new townhome, effectively growing our kid count (albeit temporarily) from one to three in the span of an hour. It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work!

The best thing was that Jack had other people to entertain him besides Bob and I, and I think he was very encouraged to be up and walking (with our help) to chase after Nate and Lexi in the yard. My sister has often told me that Nate, who is a few days older than Jack and started walking a few months ago, had the added incentive to walk because of his older sister Lexi who is almost four. Nate wants to be doing anything and everything his big sis does, so he learned to walk a lot faster than Lexi (my sister's first child). I definitely noticed a change in Jack with both of them up and walking around...he wanted to be up too!!

As much fun as we had, Bob and I were pretty tired Saturday night after we got the kids to bed. It gave us a glimpse into both the added work and blessing of having multiple children to watch over. I fully believe that for our situation, the benefit of having a sibling for Jack would far outweigh any negatives, but it did make me relish the time I get to spend one-on-one with him that much more!!

Now, how in the world do Jon and Kate (on the TLC show "Jon and Kate plus 8") do it? They have a set of twins and sextuplets and I get tired for them just watching their show...I joked around that we went from one kid to three in the span of an hour, but these people went from 2 to 8 in the span of an hour!! And much as we love them, we at least got to give Nate and Lexi back to their mom :) There are many times I want to (and do) complain just in my daily routine having one child, but that show puts me in my place pretty quickly!

No comments: