Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Random Thought #1: Why some men's shirts cost so much


I'm deviating from the "mommy" theme of the blog I know...

So the mailman delivered yet another of my neighbor's catalogs to our house on accident again yesterday. This one is called Cutter and Buck, a men's clothing catalog. The clothes definitely look pretty nice, complete with Pottery Barn prices to match. I think I'm onto them in how they price their clothing: the more words you add to the name of the product, the more money you can charge.

Instead of advertising something like "Men's Polos" for $30-$40, I see "Nano CB DryTec Luxe Benson Polo", $69, or "CB DryTec Luxe Dimension Polo", $64, or "Cocona CB DryTec Luxe Mezzanine Polo", $86.

I think I'll stick with "Men's Polo" for now :)

2 comments:

Tuck said...

$30 for a men's polo shirt? I get 3 for that... at Sam's... and they look like it! But if I ever pay $65 bucks for a golf shirt, it had better come with a round of golf and a sleeve of golf balls. ;-)

looneybinmom said...

Agreed....perhaps I should have said <$40.